Everything You Should Watch, Read, and Listen to Right Now

By Stranger Place - May 25, 2020

check out my YouTube video for book recommendations


For a lot of us, social distancing is still in effect which means we need to find new things to occupy our time. My time spent reading, perusing Netflix, and listening to music and podcasts has skyrocketed. It was a struggle at first trying to weed through my long list of series recommendations and album suggestions to find the real gems, but alas, I did the hard work for you and came up with this compilation. I’ve already reviewed my top books over onYouTube, so check that video out if you need some recommendations for self-help, memoir, and fiction books. Below, I’ve created a comprehensive lists of my favorite podcasts, TV shows, films, and albums I’ve watched/listened to in quarantine.

 

Podcasts


Crime Junkie

If you need more true crime in your life, Crime Junkie has got your back. If you’re like me and got on the podcast train with Serial back in 2014, you may feel like there’s a void that no other podcast can fill. Allow me to introduce you to Crime Junkie.

I’d definitely consider myself a true crime podcast addict. My Favorite Murder got me through four years at my old desk job, but sometimes I want something a little less tongue-in-cheek and something a little more objective and straight to the facts. That’s where I turn to Crime Junkie – they cover such interesting cases and they really do their due diligence to critically examine each case. I really appreciate that they make an effort to shine a light on victims who usually go unnoticed in the media.

Each episode is so thorough and enthralling – I highly recommend “What Serial Didn’t Tell You” and the L.I.S.K episode (as you’ll find out later, I’ve become a little obsessed with all the L.I.S.K theories). Just don’t make the same mistake as me and listen to several episodes before bed.


Witchful Thinking

 I love Brooke Monroe’s YouTube channel, so I was thrilled when she came out with this podcast. I sometimes get annoyed with the “witchier than thou” attitude of some spiritual content online, but you’ll find none of that with this podcast – just bite-sized episodes of down-to-earth, approachable information about witchcraft.

I’d definitely recommend it for beginners or people who want to incorporate some easy magic into their every day lives. She covers everything from hexes to sigils, and I highly recommend the episode on manifestation if you want some insight on how you can use the law of attraction in your craft.

 

TV Series


Giri/Haji

Set half in London and half in Tokyo, Giri/Haji tells the story of what happens when gang war spills over into two countries and divides a family. Everything about this series is vivid and intense – it’s violent, emotional, and brooding. I hope this series gets attention purely because the characters are so memorable and so fully developed, not to mention that the plot is intricate and full of twists and turns. The cinematography is also so beautiful – get ready for lots of moody shots that will make you want to explore Tokyo AND London at night.

But be prepared that this is an intense watch and not something to throw on in the background. The plot is fast-paced and highly detailed, so it needs your full attention. Plus, half of it is in Japanese, so you’ll need to read the subtitles unless you’re fluent. Regardless, it’s worth putting your brain to work for an hour because it is one of the best crime dramas I’ve seen.


The Midnight Gospel

This is quite a contrast to Giri/Haji but if you want something to throw on in the background, this may be for you. The Midnight Gospel will appeal to fans of Rick & Morty with it’s trippy, intergalactic animation style and its multi-verse style “universe simulator”. 

What’s fun about these episodes is that each one is done in the style of a podcast, interviewing people like Damien Echols and Annie Lamot, just set to some very psychedelic, extraterrestrial visuals. Each episode is only about 20 minutes, but it’ll definitely make you feel like you’ve dropped acid and settled into a philosophical talk with an old friend.

 

Films


The Lighthouse

My boyfriend recommended this movie to me and holy moly, it is so bizarre. Reminiscent of an old period piece, The Lighthouse tells the story of one young recruit’s (Robert Pattison) descent into madness when he moves in with an old lighthouse keeper (Willem DaFoe).

This film will leave you with more questions than answers, and it will make you feel like you’re slowly losing your sanity as you watch it. It’s a particularly great watch for quarantine because it will make you feel less guilty for wanting to throttle your roommates (I’m pretty sure we’ve reenacted the “you don’t like me cooking?!” scene many, many times in our house).

If you want a black-and-white film that’s cerebral, horrifying, and bizarre – this one’s for you, but you may be hesitant to go near a lighthouse again.


Lost Girls

Based on the book of the same name, Lost Girls documents a mother’s fight to push law enforcement to investigate her daughter’s disappearance – and how they accidentally discover the workings of a serial killer in the process.

The real case of Shannan Gilbert is heartbreaking, but what’s even more troubling and bizarre is how it uncovered the Long Island Serial Killer (a case I’m now obsessed with speculating about). Lost Girls tells this story with raw, unfiltered edge from the perspective of Shannan Gilbert’s mother. From what I can tell, it sticks very closely to the true story and spares no detail as far as the lengths her family had to go to in order to fight for her case.

Tragic and mysterious, this film is definitely worth a watch. I’d love to know what your theories are on the L.I.S.K. case after watching this.

 

Albums


Petals for Armor by Hayley Williams

It’s no secret I had a big emo phase that never really died down, and my idol was always Hayley Williams. Sure, I loved red-haired Riot-era Hayley but I will gladly usher in the new-era of Hayley. Petals of Armor is such an honest and mature record. It still has some of the feisty, fiery undertones of Paramore but it is something unique altogether and I’m so happy she pursued this solo project.

Listening to Petals for Armor is like a journey – there’s a track for every mood, even the uncomfortable ones. It’s dreamy, cutting, and cathartic. I’ve really been enjoying listening to it during this very up-and-down time because it brings me comfort and reminds me that feelings can be messy but they can also be art. I really recommend giving it a listen, my favorite tracks are Crystal Clear, Sudden Desire, and (of course) Dead Horse.


Ceremony by Phantogram

 Another album that takes you on a journey. I love Phantogram because their music has so many layers – its rough, pure, poignant, and energizing. The zinging, electronic instrumentals really compliment dreamy, yearning vocals to create a record that’s as provocative as it is comforting.

Definitely put this one on if you want something energizing yet peaceful – it’s the perfect soundtrack if you want to dance and sing uninhibited in your room. I love the mix of heartbreak, infatuation, and depression on this record – it truly has at least one song that will make you want to cry and sing at the same time. My recommendations are In a Spiral, Into Happiness, and Dear God.


Sundowning by Sleep Token

I think I may be having a bit of a dreamy, shoegaze-y phase when it comes to music. Anyway, Sleep Token has the perfect mix of heaviness and softness when I want something vibrant but not overwhelming.

Sundowning was everything I expected from the band  - a little dark, a little heavy, a little dreamy, and very dynamic. They flit between heartbroken ballads (Blood Sport), poppy numbers (Sugar), and heavy-hitters (The Offering) with grace – giving a powerful and mysterious sound to each.

The element of mystery is heightened upon learning that they’re a masked band. The identities of all the musicians are a secret, and I’ve definitely been entertaining myself by speculating who the band is actually fronted by (my first guess right now is Rob from Don Broco but others think it could be Dan Smith of Bastille). Let me know if you have a guess after listening.

 

If you’ve watched and listened to any of these please sound off down below and give me some more recommendations! If reading is more of your thing, don’t forget to check out my YouTube video to hear what books I’ve been enjoying over the last several weeks.

 Remember to follow me on Bloglovin' or subscribe on Feedburner if you want to stay up-to-date with my blog posts.



Feel free to follow me on YouTube and Pinterest for more content.


For now, take care of yourself,

x Stranger



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments