Welcome Back - What 20-Year-Old and 23-Year-Old Me Still Have in Common

By Stranger Place - December 10, 2019



At 20 years old I started - and quit - this blog. At 23 I realized that may have been a mistake, and that there is a real opportunity for me to pick it back up again.

At 20 years old I was a sophomore in college that had just lost her mom to cancer and was struggling with the newfound anxiety it had dredged up in me. From all accounts I was doing well, but had developed disordered eating habits and a tendency to isolate myself (as well as an extreme fear of setting off the fire alarm, failing calculus, and other seemingly benign things).

At 23 years old some things have changed:

-I finished college strong, with a great friend group, multiple honors, even studied abroad
-I graduated from university with a 3.9 GPA
-I enrolled in a Master's program in another country
-I MOVED to another country

But this is the highlight reel. Even though I am extremely proud of all of those things, presenting them as a laundry list glosses over things I still struggle with on the day-to-day - things I still have in common with 20-year-old me.

I still struggle with a lot of the irrational anxieties brought on by my mom's death and more pop up every day. As you may have known from my older blog posts, I have struggled with depression since I was thirteen and while I have developed wonderful ways of dealing with it, it never fully remits. I want to start this blog again because I still have a lot in common with 20-year-old me.

As a psychology student, I spend a lot of time self-reflecting and applying what I learn to my life. Obviously, my main goal has always been to share my insights (just as much for myself as for others).

Here are some things I share with 20-year-old me that this blog will touch on:

-WEIRD anxieties (driving, being a bit of a hypochondriac - especially about sexual health)
-Psychology - I still love studying, researching, and sharing it
-Spirituality - more of a new one in the recent years, but it's helped me so much
-All things mental health, physical health, spiritual health

Again, this blog is more of a selfish endeavor than anything but I hope it helps you as much as it helps me.


Thanks for reading! Don't forget to check me out on Pinterest!

xx ASP

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments